(revised to meet my paleo eating. Add 2 cups freshly cooked navy beans if you tolerate them)
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and sliced thick
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 ounces bacon or pancetta, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups beef broth/stock
- 3 pounds pork shoulder, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 pound chorizo sausage, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Fresh pepper
In medium skilled, cook bacon until golden. Add onion and cook until soft and tender. Stir in tomato paste & 1 cup of the broth. Bring to a simmer.
Arrange carrots in bottom of crock pot. Layer meats on top. Add onion/garlic mixture, along with remaining 3 cups beef broth, salt, and pepper.
Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
Skim fat from the cooking liquid and remove bay leaf.
Serve with roasted butternut squash and sautéed greens.